66th Carolopolis Award Recipients

1 Broad Street
Owner: Mark Beck
Architect: Bill Huey + Associates
Contractor: NBM Construction
(Pro Merito Award and Interior Carolopolis Award)

Designed in the Renaissance Revival style by notable antebellum Charleston architectural firm Jones and Lee, the three-story brownstone building at 1 Broad Street was constructed in 1853 as the headquarters for the State Bank of South Carolina. Sustaining damage from Civil War shelling and the earthquake of 1886, the building underwent a series of renovations over the course of the 19th and 20th centuries. 1 Broad was first presented with a Carolopolis Award following a 1978-1980 renovation.

Completed in 2017, this major exterior and interior rehabilitation brought use back to one of Charleston’s most notable corner buildings after more than a decade of vacancy. The project included extensive structural reinforcement, stabilization and repair of exterior brownstone finishes and the cast-iron cornice, as well as comprehensive restoration of original exterior and interior finishes informed by paint analysis.

 

5 St. Teresa Drive
Owner: Blessed Sacrament Catholic Church
Architect: Glick-Boehm & Associates, Inc.
Contractor: Magee Ratcliff Construction, LLC
(Exterior Carolopolis Award)

One of West Ashley’s most iconic buildings, the Blessed Sacrament Catholic Church building was constructed in 1962-1963 as the first permanent house of worship for the congregation. Incorporating Mid-Century Modern detailing, the building was designed with two 65-foot steeples toppled during Hurricane Hugo in 1989. Nearly 30 years later, these character-defining elements were reconstructed to restore the church’s historic appearance.

Working from the original 1960s drawings and period photographs, the project team designed new, custom-built steeples installed in August, 2019. The reconstructed steeples match the historic steeples in height and reflect the same star shaped profile. In keeping with the original design intent, and to better protect against potential wind damage, the new steeples were constructed of a fiberglass shell over a structural steel frame.

9 Price’s Alley
Owner: Michael Sweat and Michael Tuscan
Architect: Clark-Glidewell/Architect, Christopher Rose Architects
Landscape Architect: Wertimer + Cline
Contractor: Renaissance South Construction Company
(Exterior Carolopolis Award)

The residence at 9 Price’s Alley is comprised of a 1938 masonry garage structure and a 1974 addition designed by noted 20th century Charleston architect, W.G. Clark. Though not yet technically deemed historic at just under 50 years old, the 1974 addition was treated sensitively through the recent rehabilitation of the property in recognition of its significance as W.G. Clark’s first design constructed in Charleston.

As part of this project, the west wall of the addition was stabilized and the entire exterior re-stuccoed in keeping with the smooth, concrete finish originally intended for the modern addition. Distinctive, 14-foot, metal Hope’s windows and doors were carefully restored and reinstalled, and masonry on the 1938 portion of the building was repointed. A minimally visible, copper-clad addition was also incorporated emulating the curved design concept that characterizes the 1974 addition.

9 Stoll’s Alley
Owner: Ann and John Kulze
Architect: Tyler A. Smyth Architects
Contractor: Buckley-Green Construction, Inc.
(Exterior Carolopolis Award)

Constructed circa 1760, the one-and-one-half-story brick dwelling at 9 Stoll’s Alley is thought to be one of the earliest masonry buildings in the city. Notably, the first decorative gate crafted by celebrated Charleston ironworker, Philip Simmons, is installed adjacent to the main entrance at 9 Stoll’s Alley.

Earning the State Historic Rehabilitation Tax Credit, the project included careful cleaning and recoating of the historic terne metal roof, removal of window air-conditioning units and restoration of all historic window sashes, siding, and trim. A post-Hurricane Hugo porch enclosure was re-worked with a small rear addition under a low-sloped standing seam metal roof.

 

10 Elmwood Avenue
Owner: Kimberly Harvey
Designer: Naseem Keshmirian
Contractor: Rockwell Construction
(Exterior Carolopolis Award)

The two-and-one-half-story wood-frame house at 10 Elmwood Avenue was constructed in 1917 by the J.K. Nettles development company. Although subject to a series of insensitive alterations, termite damage, and wood rot, 10 Elmwood Avenue retained much of its original fabric, including exposed rafter tails and other early Craftsman style detail.

While outside of the BAR’s purview, the property was renovated within the framework established by the Secretary of the Interior’s Standards for Rehabilitation. In reopening the two-story porch enclosure on the front façade, historic brick piers were preserved and lost detail was restored based on comparable neighborhood examples. The scope of work also included substantial foundation repair, the removal of window air-conditioning units and a non-historic metal stair, repair and in-kind replacement of wood Dutch lap siding, and restoration of original windows.

10 Limehouse Street
Owner: Meg and Jordan Phillips
Architect: e. e. fava architects, etc.
Landscape Architect: Glen R. Gardner Landscape Architect
Contractor: Tupper Builders, Inc.
(Exterior Carolopolis Award)

Constructed in 1858 for prominent cotton exchange broker William Pinckney Shingler, the late Greek Revival style masonry residence at 10 Limehouse Street is noted for its ornate entry door surround and masked, double-tiered piazza. The property extends from Limehouse to Greenhill Streets and includes a dependency at the rear.

At the beginning of the 2017-2018 project, the building’s structural integrity was threatened by severe mortar deterioration that necessitated the repointing of nearly 90% of the masonry. The original form of the piazza was also restored with the removal of second-story infill, and full-height triple-hung windows opening onto the piazza were repaired and returned to operability. Additionally, brownstone sills were restored, and a new slate roof was installed to match the original roof lost after Hurricane Hugo.

 

15 Thomas Street
Owner: Kim and Eric Strickland
Architect: e. e. fava architects, etc.
Contractor: C. B. Elrod Co. Construction
(Pro Merito Award)

The two-and-one-half story Greek Revival style house at 15 Thomas Street was constructed circa 1840, along with its sister house at 86 Warren Street. Named for the original owner, the Samuel Sage Mills House was initially presented with a Carolopolis Award in 1977.

The purpose of this project was to reconstruct the double-tiered, south-facing piazza, lost sometime in the mid-to-late-twentieth century. Restoring the house to its original configuration, historic photographs were referenced to reproduce the bracketed eave detail and turned balusters. Wood siding and windows were repaired or replaced in-kind with newly milled mahogany custom made to match the original.

 

16 Percy Street
Owner: Charlie and Kathryn Tanksley
Designer: New World Byzantine, Andrew Gould
Contractor: Flyway SC LLC
(Exterior Carolopolis Award and Carolopolis Award for New Construction)

Constructed in the 1880s, the two-story wood frame single house at 16 Percy Street was long utilized as a duplex and underwent a series of insensitive alterations in the twentieth-century. As part of the recent rehabilitation project, 16 Percy Street was converted to a single-family residence and a new dependency was constructed fronting Bogard Street.

Rehabilitation of the historic single house included stabilization of the piazza and preservation or in-kind replacement of intact wood siding, concealed beneath later aluminum siding. Non-historic metal windows were replaced with traditional wood windows and surviving detail informed the reconstruction of original sill and casing profiles. Designed to address Bogard Street, the new, modestly scaled cottage reflects local vernacular forms and works effectively to complete this historic streetscape.

 

17 Trumbo Street
Owner: Beckie and Scott Hoffman
Architect: LFA Architecture
Contractor: Stono Construction
(Carolopolis Award for New Construction)

Constructed in 2018-2019, 17 Trumbo Street is a contemporary Charleston single house designed specifically to meet FEMA elevation requirements while respecting the surrounding context. Elevated with a full ground floor story, multiple creative architectural techniques are employed to lessen the appearance of the building’s height and differentiate it as new construction.

Drawing from examples of historic ground floor treatments in Charleston, the height of 17 Trumbo Street’s raised foundation is mitigated by traditionally-scaled foundation openings and a piazza entry door at the pedestrian level. Further, a low-sloped hipped roof allows for minimized roof height, and modern shiplap siding with woven corners subtly distinguishes the house as new construction.

 

17-19 Ashton Street
Owner: Brett and Kaila Dorval (17 Ashton), Melissa Walker (19 Ashton)
Architect: Julia F. Martin Architects
Contractor: Southeastern Construction
Developer: JJR Development, LLC, Jeffrey Roberts
(Exterior Carolpolis Award)

The Charleston Single House and Freedman’s Cottage at 17 and 19 Ashton Street date to the late-19th and early-20th centuries, respectively, and each suffered numerous insensitive alterations in later years. Through the extensive 2017-2019 restoration, the two properties were elevated to meet FEMA requirements, while intact historic material was preserved and lost detail restored.

As part of the project, inappropriate, non-historic additions were removed from the rear of both 17 and 19 Ashton Street and replaced with more sensitive, subordinate footprints. Replacement vinyl siding and windows were restored to wood, and historic siding was preserved or replaced in-kind. Non-historic roofs on both buildings were replaced with more appropriate, hand-crimped, standing seam aluminum. Notably, 19 Ashton was returned to single-family use after years of occupation as a duplex.

 

19 King Street
Owner: Ed and Nancy Ross
Architect/Contractor: Meadors, Inc.
(Pro Merito Award)

The three-story residence at 19 King Street is attributed to architect and master builder Thomas Lee and was built for colonial judge Thomas Lamboll in the late 1730s. Between 1840-1850, alterations were made to reflect the Greek Revival style, including the fluted Doric columned piazza. The Thomas Lamboll House was awarded an exterior Carolopolis Award in 1967.

The rehabilitation completed in 2019 focused on addressing structural deficiencies and severely deteriorated historic elements. The foundation was extensively repointed and existing framing members were sistered, leaving historic material in-situ. Any architectural elements including balusters, rails, and columns, that were unable to be salvaged were carefully documented and replicated exactly. A one-story rear addition was also constructed as part of the project that is appropriately subordinate and compatible with the historic building.

 

25-29 Amherst Street
Owner: 25 Amherst Street LLC, 262 Ashley Avenue LLC
Architect: Julia F. Martin Architects
Contractor: Lumos Group
(Carolopolis Award for New Construction)

Constructed in 2019, 25, 27, and 29 Amherst Street form a trio of new dwellings that reflect the unique character and architectural history of the Eastside neighborhood, while clearly reading as new construction.

Each property consists of a two-family dwelling at the streetfront, with a smaller, single-family dwelling to the rear. The site plan is reflective of Charleston’s typical development pattern and at two-and-a-half stories, the front buildings are respectful to the height, scale, and mass of the existing streetscape. The architectural expression is a modern interpretation of the Carpenter Gothic style represented throughout the neighborhood in other historic sister house groupings. The project is both contextual and contemporary, presenting an excellent example of new construction infill in a residential setting.

 

33 New Street
Owner: Lawrence and Glenda Wetzel
Designer: American Vernacular, Julie O’Connor
Contractor: Tiller Construction Co.
(Exterior Carolopolis Award)

The two-and-a-half story side-hall plan house at 33 New Street was likely constructed between 1884-1886 under the ownership of Gertrude Hall, whose family owned Halls Manufacturing dealing in leather goods. Reflective of its time of construction, the house incorporates Italianate details, including elaborate door and window hoods and bracketed eaves.

During the recent rehabilitation project, 33 New Street was converted from three apartment units to a single-family residence and a comprehensive approach was taken to restore the exterior. Piazza elements were either repaired or replaced in-kind, the foundation was thoroughly repointed, and the unique entry railings and newel posts were repaired. Further, all historic windows and doors were refurbished and reinstalled, and the original chimneys were repointed and restuccoed.

 

35 Legare Street
Owner: Diana and Scott Cooper
Architect: Glenn Keyes Architects
Landscape Architect: Glen R. Gardner Landscape Architect
Contractor: Richard Marks Restorations
(Exterior Carolopolis Award)

Known as the Elizabeth Williams House, the two-and-a-half story wood frame residence at 35 Legare Street was constructed prior to 1790. The rear kitchen house also dates to the original period of construction. Numerous alterations were made in the late 19th century to reflect Victorian tastes, including the mansard roof and front bay windows.

The rehabilitation project focused on removing insensitive additions and restoring much of the house to its historic character. Through selective demolition, the third-floor bathroom addition, second floor piazza infill, and rear concrete stairs were removed, and the piazza was brought back to its original footprint. The exterior siding, trim, windows and doors were repaired and repainted, and the masonry at the chimneys and kitchen house were repointed.

 

70 Logan Street
Owner: Lawrence Thompson
Architect: LFA Architecture
Contractor: Richard Johnson Contracting LLC
(Pro Merito Award)

This masonry residence located at the corner of Logan and Queen Streets was constructed c.1840 and is one of the only antebellum houses on the block to survive the fire of 1861. The property was converted from two apartments to a single-family residence during a renovation in 1977, which subsequently earned a Carolopolis Award.

The priority of the 2017-2018 rehabilitation project was to rectify deferred maintenance and extensive water damage. Stucco was inspected and removed only where loose, to allow for the entire house to be recoated with a more historically appropriate finish, as well as for the stucco on the 1977 portion to be slightly differentiated to communicate it was a later addition. Though the terne metal roof was unfortunately beyond repair, it was replaced with a high-quality copper standing seam roof and the chimneys were repointed and restuccoed. Wood windows and doors were also repaired or appropriately replaced, and a second-floor porch addition with mahogany shutters was added to the rear.

 

92-A&B Spring Street
Owner: Olivia Froncillo (92-A Spring), David Seifarth (92-B Spring)
Architect: Julia F. Martin Architects
Contractor: Southeastern Construction
(Exterior Carolopolis Award)

The two single-story commercial structures at 92-A and 92-B Spring Street were built between 1907-1908 by Huldah J. Prioleau, one of the first female African American physicians in South Carolina. The building at 92-B Spring Street served as Prioleau’s office from 1908 until her retirement in 1934, while the neighboring building at 92-A was rented out as a barber shop. Throughout the 20th century, the two buildings housed local businesses, as well as a church and meeting space for the African American community in the Cannonborough/Elliottborough neighborhood.

Both buildings suffered a series of insensitive alterations, as well as a period of vacancy and neglect leading up to the recent rehabilitation project. By that point, the majority of the exterior historic fabric had been removed and openings had been reconfigured. The project sought to restore the original character to the greatest extent possible by reintroducing appropriate wood siding, windows, and doors. Of note, the front façade of 92-B Spring Street was opened up with a storefront designed to reflect similar neighborhood examples. The rehabilitation resulted in the return of vibrant commercial uses to these two significant, historic buildings.

 

100 Meeting Street
Owner: South Carolina Historical Society
Architect: Glenn Keyes Architects
Contractor: Richard Marks Restorations
Structural Engineer: 4SE
Exhibit Designers: Healy Kohler Design
(Pro Merito Award and Interior Carolopolis Award)

Known as the Fireproof Building, 100 Meeting Street was designed by renowned architect Robert Mills in 1822 as fireproof storage of state records for the Charleston District. True to its name, the building was constructed entirely of non-combustible materials, including brick, brownstone, and stucco. After housing a series of municipal uses, the building became the headquarters of the South Carolina Historical Society in the mid-20th century. The Fireproof Building was awarded an exterior Carolopolis Award in 1972 for a previous renovation.

The purpose of this project was to transform the Historical Society’s facilities from a small research library to a fully accessible museum, while simultaneously undertaking a comprehensive building rehabilitation. On the exterior, the main entry was relocated to the Washington Square elevation, where visitors now enter at the ground level through the glass-enclosed loggia. The new paint scheme on the outside of the building also now recalls the original exposed brownstone material, and windows and ironwork were returned to their original green color. On the interior, 20th century fixtures, bookshelves, and carpet were removed and an elevator was sensitively installed to avoid impacting historic, vaulted masonry construction. Historic interior shutters and wood flooring were also refurbished.

 

114 Broad Street
Owner: Roman Catholic Diocese of Charleston
Architect/Contractor: Meadors, Inc.
(Pro Merito Award)

 

The T-shaped, two-and-a-half story brick building at 114 Broad Street was completed by Colonel Thomas Pinckney in 1829. Standing on a high basement, the house is distinguished by a stone columned front portico and triple sash windows surmounted by marble lintels. The Pinckney family retained the property until 1866 when it was sold to the Roman Catholic Bishop of Charleston, and remains the residence for Charleston bishops to this day. The Colonel Thomas Pinckney House received previous Carolopolis Awards in 1968 and 1991.

Reinforcing the integrity of the structure and historic features was the primary focus of the recent rehabilitation project. Mortar analysis was conducted to inform the complete repointing of exterior masonry, and stucco was restored on the belt course wrapping the building. Original marble lintels were carefully removed and reset to correct their negative slope that had resulted in water intrusion, and all triple-hung windows were restored and repainted. Finally, the failing gutter system was removed to allow for the sistering of roof framing members and repair of the cornice, and the temporarily removed slate roofing was reinstalled as before.

 

193-199 Jackson Street
Owner: Mount Vernon Partners, LLC
Designer/Contractor: Brown-Glaws Contractors
(Exterior Carolopolis Award)

The four timber-framed Charleston Freedman’s Cottages at 193-199 Jackson Street were constructed circa 1891 and are significant as one of the most intact groupings of this vernacular house type citywide. In response to decades of vacancy and the threat of demolition, the Preservation Society listed the cottages as a Seven to Save site in 2011, leading to the successful nomination of the properties to the National Register of Historic Places.

Made eligible for State and Federal Historic Tax Credits by the National Register listing, the properties were rehabilitated according to the Secretary of the Interior’s Standards for use as office and event space in 2018-2019. Due to the advanced deterioration of the cottages, project goals focused on stabilizing as much historic fabric as possible while reconstructing historic detail lost or beyond repair. While a majority of piazza elements and window sashes necessitated reconstruction, a significant level of original clapboard siding, and the original metal roof at 199 Jackson Street, were preserved and repaired in place.

 

1687 Fort Lamar Road
Owner: Caroline Forgason
Architect: Dufford Young Architects
Contractor: Artis Construction
(Exterior Carolopolis Award)

Built circa 1837, Secessionville Manor is a vernacular raised plantation style house designed in the Greek Revival style and defined by its unique U-shaped piazza with classical, square, fluted columns. The house was likely designed and built by Edward H. Freer, the only skilled carpenter living on James Island at the time, as a summer residence for cotton planter, Rawlins Rivers.

The highlight of the 2017-2019 rehabilitation project was the removal of inappropriate infill at bays below the porch, as well as the refenestration of the remaining infilled bays to reflect a more appropriate treatment. Also of note was the replacement of the non-historic 1/1 window within the gable with an elegant fanlight window. Other historic fabric including windows, doors, siding, trim, and roofing were repaired or replaced in-kind, and the porch structure was stabilized by repointing masonry piers, sistering historic frame members, and realigning skewed columns.

Share