Retail Assistant Manager
preservation-admin , May 18, 2023
The Preservation Society of Charleston (PSC) is looking for a full-time Assistant Manager to serve as a key member of our Retail Team. This is a new position which has been created to support our growing retail business. Our shop, at 147 King Street, has become THE destination for authentic products manufactured here in the Lowcountry, featuring local Makers such as Brackish, Smithey, Burls & Steel and J. Stark. Designated as a must-see shop by Garden & Gun, Conde Nast Traveler, Town & Country, and more, The PSC Shop sales have grown exponentially over the past several years.
The PSC Retail Assistant Manager will be a full-time staff member of The PSC Shop, will serve as a mission-driver and story-teller, and will create customer satisfaction with every interaction. The PSC Retail Assistant Manager will report to the Retail Manager.
About the Preservation Society of Charleston
Founded in 1920, the Preservation Society of Charleston (PSC) is the oldest grassroots preservation organization in the nation. The Society is more resilient than ever as it enters its second century of recognizing, protecting, and advocating for the Lowcountry’s historic places, while serving as a strong advocacy leader for citizens concerned about preserving Charleston’s distinctive character, quality of life, and diverse neighborhoods. For more information on the Preservation Society of Charleston, please visit preservationsociety.org
Key Roles and Responsibilities
The Retail Assistant Manager serves as a key member of the PSC’s Retail Team and will be a representative for the entire Preservation Society of Charleston nonprofit organization. In addition to the key roles and responsibilities below, the ideal candidate will be passionate about the PSC’s mission and will be a team player who is able to perform a variety of roles.
- Provides customer service and satisfaction by greeting and establishing a relationship with customers while informing them of our mission and products;
- Learns The PSC Shop’s full product portfolio and the stories behind each piece in order to recommend customers to, and connect them with, the appropriate items
- Increases retail sales and product metrics to goals as outlined by the Director of Retail Operations
- Create purchase orders and receive products accurately in point of sale system
- Replenishes and maintains inventory and store visual presentation
- Performs cashier functions and adheres to policies related to customer transactions
- Maintains store safety and cleanliness standards on both the sales floor and stock room;
- Participates in all PSC events as needed
- Works with Manager and Director on assortment planning, monthly features in PSC newsletter and continued enhancement of retail website
- Ability to work a flexible schedule as business requires;
- Daily hours are 9 AM – 5:30 PM
- Some weekend work is required. Evening and holiday work may be required depending on scheduling needs
- Energetic, customer-focused and solutions-oriented
- Self-motivated, detail-oriented, and highly-organized
- Some experience working with e-commerce and social media
- Desire to be a leader on a growing team
- Motivation to learn the details of operating a 2 to 3 million dollar annual business
All qualified candidates should apply by submitting a cover letter and resume via email to Andy Archie, Director of Retail Operations, at firstname.lastname@example.org with Retail Assistant Manager in the subject heading. Please do not attempt to apply in person and no telephone calls. Do not reply via Indeed.
PSC Full-Time Employee Benefits
- Health and dental insurance – 90% employer-paid coverage for employees; 50% employer-paid coverage for dependents
- Vision insurance at a group rate
- Short-term disability – 100% employer paid coverage
- Long-term disability – 100% employer paid coverage
- Life Insurance ($25,000)
- Retirement Plan – 100% of contributions matched up to 6% of salary, fully vested
- 15 days annual paid time off
- 6 days annual paid sick leave
- 11 annual paid holidays
- Paid maternity and paternity leave
- Paid parking within one block of PSC offices
$40,000-42,000 based on experience
Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Statement
Preservation Society of Charleston is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an equitable and inclusive environment for all employees. Applicants will be considered for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran, or disability status.