Federal and state historic tax credits are available for historic properties undergoing rehabilitation projects that meet qualifying standards. The Federal Historic Tax Credit is available to historic, income-producing properties that are listed on the National Register of Historic Places. The credit equals 20% of the qualifying expenses of a rehabilitation project that are determined to meet the Secretary of the Interior’s Standards. Additionally, the State of South Carolina offers 25% tax credits for income-producing properties, homeowners, and abandoned buildings that require similar criteria. On the local level, preservation easements may be donated to a qualified organization, like the Preservation Society, in exchange for a charitable tax deduction.
- Historic Rehabilitation Tax Credit
- Historic Preservation Fund Grants
- Federal Tax Credit for Low Income Housing
- SC Historic Rehabilitation Tax Credit – Income Producing
- SC Historic Rehabilitation Tax Credit – Homeowner
- SC Abandoned Building Tax Credit