2019 Summer Internship Opportunity – Preservation Society of Charleston

Special Projects Internship — Two Positions Available                                                                                             

Summer 2019

The Preservation Society of Charleston is seeking two paid Special Projects Interns for Summer 2019 (up to 35 hours per week from Monday, June 3 – Friday, August 9). The Special Projects Interns will work in support of the PSC’s ongoing preservation initiatives focused on research, documentation and interpretation of historically and culturally significant sites in the Charleston area.

Project-specific duties will include archival research, data collection in the field, photography, community outreach, content creation, and associated administrative duties. Educational value to the intern will include: experience working closely with PSC staff to shape and advance an innovative preservation initiative, opportunities to engage with community partners, and the ability to attend unique site visits citywide.

Eligibility:

  • – All candidates must be currently pursuing, or in recent receipt of, a graduate degree in history, historic preservation, planning, urban studies or a related field.
  • – Strong verbal and written communication skills are required.
  • – Ideal candidates will demonstrate an ability to collaborate and achieve results with supervision, including ability to interact professionally with key internal and external stakeholders as needed.

The intern will report to the Manager of Preservation Initiatives in support of internship tasks. The position will receive compensation by an hourly wage, which will be paid every two weeks over the duration of the internship. Please submit applications consisting of a brief cover letter, a resume, an academic or professional reference, and an academic writing sample. All files to be submitted in a single document by Thursday April 11, 2019 to Anna-Catherine Carroll, Manager of Preservation Initiatives, at accarroll@preservationsociety.org. No phone calls please.

 

 

Share

65th Carolopolis Award Recipients

1 Legare Street
Owner: John and Elizabeth Heck
Architect: Dufford Young Architects
Contractor: Edgewood Builders

The two-and-one-half story weatherboard-clad single house at 1 Legare Street was constructed in the 1760s on a nearby lot and moved to its present location in 1873. Named for original owner and Revolutionary naval hero, the Edward Blake House was awarded a Carolopolis Award for exterior restoration in 1970.

This 2016-2018 rehabilitation project included partial restoration of the nineteenth-century piazza through reversal of a first floor piazza enclosure, removal of aluminum storm windows, and preservation or in-kind replacement of all historic sashes. Additionally, original first floor openings were restored and the south-facing, oversized triple shed dormer was returned to two original dormers with a modified center dormer.

1 Meeting Street
Owner: Frederike Hecht
Architect: Bill Huey and Associates
Contractor: NBM Construction

One of the largest side-hall plan houses in Charleston, the three-story masonry residence named for original owner George Robertson was constructed in 1846 and altered extensively in the 1870s-1880s. In 1970, the George Robertson House was awarded a Carolopolis Award for exterior restoration.

Through this recent rehabilitation project, severely deteriorated brownstone sills and headers were repaired, non-historic cast stone members were replaced with historically accurate brownstone, an exterior metal staircase was removed from the west elevation, and mortar analysis was conducted to inform extensive repointing of exterior masonry.

30 State Street
Owner: Swamp Fox Properties LLC
Architect: LFA Architecture
Contractor: Tupper Builders

The Wagener-Trott Building at 30 State Street was constructed in 1866 for merchant Theodore D. Wagner in the Renaissance Revival style. For much of its history, the building’s first floor was operated by German, Irish and Greek immigrants as a tavern, and served as a “blind tiger” during Prohibition. In the 1930s, the Wagener-Trott building housed the Queen Street Lunchroom, a café dedicated to serving Charleston’s segregated African-American community.

The Preservation Society of Charleston placed an historic marker on the property in early 2018.
At the beginning of the 2016-2018 restoration, severe moisture intrusion and termite damage were evidenced by spalling stucco and extensive wood rot that threatened the building’s structural integrity. With the goal of addressing all deficiencies without altering the building’s historic appearance, this project consisted of extensive stucco removal and repointing, the replacement of nearly 4,000 deteriorated bricks, significant reinforcement of load-bearing masonry walls, and the restoration of original arches discovered above first floor openings.

32 South Battery
Owner: Jim and Augustine Smith
Architect: Glenn Keyes Architects
Contractor: Rhode Construction

Widely recognized for its prominent octagonal cupola, the three-and-one-half story post-Revolutionary house at 32 South Battery was constructed circa 1782 for namesake Colonel John Ashe. The Colonel John Ashe House was awarded an exterior Carolopolis Award in 1989.

The purpose of this project was to reconstruct the third tier of the front-facing piazza to reflect the house’s historic configuration. Through investigative research, nineteenth and early twentieth century photographs revealed a full three-story piazza that was reduced to two-stories in the 1930s. Documentation informed the design of the new balustrade, columns, cornice and paneled parapet, resulting in the accurate restoration of the house’s historic appearance.

55 East Bay
Owner: Liz and Will Fort
Architect: Dufford Young Architects
Contractor: Artis Construction

The Jonathan Simpson House at 55 East Bay Street and the original brick kitchen building to the rear were constructed in the early 1780s for British shipping merchant Jonathan Simpson. The kitchen house was renovated as a separate residence in the mid-twentieth century, and in 1965, the main house at 55 East Bay was awarded an exterior Carolopolis Award.

As part of this rehabilitation project, a condominium regime subdividing the main house and kitchen house into separate dwelling units was abandoned and the property was returned to a single-family residence. A 1980s stucco over frame kitchen addition at the rear of the main house was removed and a one-story glazed hyphen with copper cladding was introduced between the main house and the dependency. Three original openings on the south wall of the kitchen house were restored and new mahogany windows and doors replaced non-historic units.

94 Bogard Street
Owner: Judith Aidoo
Designer: New World Byzantine, Andrew Gould
Contractor: Flyway

The two-story Victorian wood-frame house at 94 Bogard Street was constructed circa 1890. Prior to its recent rehabilitation, 94 Bogard Street stood vacant for thirty years resulting in severe deterioration of all wood siding, trim and framing that necessitated considerable leveling and stabilization.

Rehabilitation work included the removal of a structurally unsound 1960s addition, the shoring up of historic roof framing, and the replacement of a failing roof with a new hand-crimped metal roof. Severely deteriorated wood siding and windows were preserved where salvageable or replaced in-kind, and the trim profile of failing porch members were measured carefully to allow reconstruction following the original design. Differentiated with square columns rather than round, a new rear porch was added that draws from the design of the front porch.

153 Moultrie Street
Owner: Lyles and Katie Geer
Architect: The Middleton Group, Laura Middleton and Rhett Morgan
Contractor: Matt O’Hara, Solid Renovations

Built in 1922, the two-and-one-half-story house at 153 Moultrie Street is a variant of a typical, early twentieth century Hampton Park Terrace house type referred to as “Lateral-gable.” Recalling Prairie style architecture with its wide overhanging eaves, and large square porch supports, 153 Moultrie Street was built by F.J.H. Haesloop who is credited with constructing more than a dozen houses in Hampton Park Terrace in the 1910s and 1920s.

While outside of the BAR’s purview, the current property owner chose to renovate within the framework established by the Secretary of the Interior’s Standards for Rehabilitation, earning the State Historic Rehabilitation Tax Credit. The scope of work included the removal of a non-historic rear addition and metal fire stair, restoration of original openings, reopening of a glass porch enclosure, and repairs of exterior masonry and cast stone detail.

161 Rutledge Avenue
Owner: Chuck Kronenwetter
Architect: Glick/Boehm & Associates, James (Billy) Bishop

The two-story wood frame mixed-use building at the corner of Rutledge Avenue and Doughty Street dates to 1845 and stood vacant for years prior to its recent rehabilitation. By the time work began, major structural stabilization and repair was necessary.

Exterior rehabilitation included the preservation or in-kind replacement of historic lap siding intact beneath the twentieth century faux stone stucco façade, reconstruction of the failing south elevation, reinforcement of the existing roof system with traditional mortise and tenon construction, and replacement of period incorrect one-over-one windows with six-over-six putty glazed wood windows.

163–165 Line Street
Owner: Lindsay Nevin
Designer: New World Byzantine, Andrew Gould

Constructed in 2017, 163 and 165 Line Street are designed to respond simultaneously to challenging site conditions created by the Septima P. Clark Parkway, and the unique architectural vocabulary of the surrounding Cannonborough-Elliottborough and Westside neighborhoods.

This small-scale infill was intended to recall the style and form of the many houses lost to the construction of the Crosstown in the mid-twentieth century. Designed to read as two-stories from the street, the two houses employ simple vernacular forms enriched by numerous traditional details like piazzas and ornate woodwork. While the interior courtyard provides the main entrance for both houses, a street-facing piazza screen at 165 Line Street reflects the typical streetscape pattern of Charleston’s residential neighborhoods.

262 Coming Street
Owner: James Trent
Designer: New World Byzantine, Andrew Gould
Contractor: Luxury Simplified

The two-story wood frame single house at 262 Coming Street was built in 1890, and was subject to a series of insensitive alterations and additions in the twentieth-century. As part of the recent rehabilitation project, 262 Coming Street was converted from a college rental duplex to a single family residence.

As part of the project, later vinyl siding was removed, intact historic siding beneath was preserved or replaced in-kind, and original two-over-two windows were preserved or restored. A portion of a second floor piazza enclosure was re-opened, structurally unsound, non-historic additions and egress stairs were demolished, and a new rear addition was constructed. Additionally, a timber frame screened porch was built by artisans from the American College of the Building Arts.

267 Rutledge Avenue
Owner: Lindsay Nevin
Designer: New World Byzantine, Andrew Gould
Contractor: Flyway

Originally built as John Meyer & Co. Grocery in 1901, the two-and-one-half story wood-frame corner building at 267 Rutledge features an ornate bracketed cornice and tripartite gable window. A one-story office addition was added to the south side of the building in the 1920s.

In the mid to late-twentieth century, the original glazed storefront was replaced by a brick and plywood façade, and years of unaddressed termite damage and rot resulted in severe damage. Project goals included restoring the altered storefront through careful investigation of the remaining woodwork, reframing and repairing the piazza to prevent future water intrusion, replacing failing window sashes in kind, and rebuilding the structurally unsound addition on a new foundation.

Drayton Hall Visitor Center and Education Pavilion Complex
Owner: Drayton Hall Preservation Trust
Architect: Glenn Keyes Architects
Contractor: Hood Construction
Landscape Architect: Wertimer + Cline Landscape Architects
Structural Engineer: 4SE, Fountain Timberworks

Opened to the public in early 2018, the Sally Reahard Visitor Amenity Center at Drayton Hall Plantation was thoughtfully designed to create a meaningful entry experience for visitors that compliments and respects the iconic historic landscape.

The new complex consists of two buildings flanking a central garden, each employing timber frame construction and drawing from a traditional material palette of wood, slate, stucco and glass. The primary building is classically proportioned with a five-bay plan mirroring that of the house, and features an open timber frame entry portico, a putty-colored stucco finish, and a slate roof. The education pavilion, closer to the eighteenth century plantation house, is the smaller of the two buildings and features a central timber frame breezeway. The new Visitor Amenity Center allows the exhibition of Drayton Hall’s extensive collection of artifacts, enhanced opportunity for education, and the telling of this National Historic Landmark’s significant story.

Quartermaster Dock House
Owner: Manda and Steve Poletti
Architect: Steve Herlong and Bronwyn Lurkin, Herlong Architects
Contractor: Harper James Finucan (house), Cape Romain Contractors (dock)

Built by the U.S. government circa 1905, the Quartermaster Dock and Dock House were commissioned as part of the Fort Moultrie Support Facilities system in use between 1897 and 1947. The quartermaster who lived on-site in the Dock House was responsible for accepting deliveries of artillery and ammunition before transport to Fort Moultrie. Following the deactivation of Fort Moultrie, the Dock House stood vacant for many years. In 2007, the property was listed on the National Register of Historic Places, and was sold at auction five years later.

This significant project was undertaken to restore the property to its original condition while preserving as much historic material as possible. First, the Dock House was carefully lifted to replace its foundation with new concrete pilings, and over 2,000 square feet of non-original decking was removed to bring the dock back to its original dimensions with diagonally laid boards. Original Dutch lap siding was preserved or replaced in-kind, a non-historic asphalt shingle roof was replaced with period-appropriate cedar shake shingles, and new double-hung wood windows replaced all non-original units.

Share

2017 Carolopolis Award Recipients

720 Magnolia Road
Owner: Kingfisher Investments VI, LLC
Nominator: John Hagerty, Manager of the owner LLC
Designer: Susan Simons
Contractor: Riverland Builders, LLC

The brick school building at 720 Magnolia Drive was first opened as a public elementary school in the mid-twentieth century, and was historically known as Albemarle Elementary School. The school closed its doors in the early 1980’s, and after abandonment in 2011, the building was vacant until rehabilitation work commenced in 2017. The building is now an event and gathering space known as The Schoolhouse.

Preservation of the historic character and fabric was integrated with goals of retaining a traditional neighborhood gathering space. Through this project, original oak flooring was retained throughout, and dropped ceilings were removed to expose original wood trusses. Original concrete floors were maintained and polished, and windows were repaired in place where possible. Over all, historic spatial relationships were maintained by preserving the dimensions of most original classrooms, hallways and gathering spaces, maintaining its connection as an historic community space.

Continue reading

Share

PSC is hiring!

As the Preservation Society of Charleston continues to adapt to the rising change in Charleston and its surround areas, we are staffing up to meet the challenge. Do you think you have what it takes to be a part of our team?

Share

Director of Advancement

Director of Advancement

The Preservation Society of Charleston (PSC), founded in 1920, is the oldest community-based preservation organization in America. In striving to honor and sustain the architectural and cultural heritage of the South Carolina Lowcountry, the PSC serves as a strong advocacy leader for citizens concerned about preserving Charleston’s distinctive character, quality of life, and diverse neighborhoods. The Society is located in Charleston, SC, and is a non-profit, 501(c)(3) organization that relies on private philanthropy, membership revenue, and grants to fulfill its mission.

The Director of Advancement (DA) maintains strategic and operational responsibility for the planning, execution, and evaluation of all advancement programs with an emphasis on private fundraising. In collaboration with the Executive Director, the Director of Advancement establishes mutually agreed upon annual goals, develops plans to meet those goals, and manages the necessary and appropriate activity to ensure that those goals are met so as to support and extend the mission of the Preservation Society.

Activities:

With the Executive Director develop and execute a comprehensive fund-raising and advancement strategy in support of the mission.

Plan, implement, and evaluate initiatives for member and donor identification, cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship in partnership with the Executive Director.

Establish key fundraising processes and communications for the Society.

Develop and execute plans to expand and enhance planned giving.

Develop and execute fund raising plan and programs for the Society’s centennial in 2020.

Participate regularly in community activities and events to enhance the image and position of the Society.

Actively build strong relationships across all segments of the community and the membership with particular focus on potential and current individual donors and contributors.

Working with the Director of Advocacy & Communications, manage organizational brand and messaging through a comprehensive media and marketing strategy.

Identify new sources of income including but not limited to grants and business sponsorships.

Develops solid measurements of success and utilizes development based software systems to enhance overall efforts.

Skills and Experience:

Five to seven years of demonstrated success working with all elements of fundraising: major gifts, direct campaigns, grant-writing; familiarity with online marketing tools, including social media, web-based giving, and donor relations.

Bachelor’s degree (Business, Marketing, Communications, Community Development, Planning, the liberal arts), or an equivalent combination of education and experience. Master’s Degree preferred.

Excellent interpersonal and communications skills and experience.

Interest in preservation, community planning, urban design, and/or conservation issues.

Proven ability to collaborate across divisions to implement processes and achieve results. Track record of building and maintaining productive relationships with multiple stakeholders.

Advanced project-management and client-management skills. Ability to achieve results with minimal supervision.

Entrepreneurial spirit and skill set essential.

Proficiency in the use of advancement-related computer software.

This position will be required to work out of the PSC office in Charleston, SC. All qualified candidates should apply by submitting a cover letter and resume via email to Jessica Cutler, Director of Operations, at jcutler@preservationsociety.org by November 24, 2017. No telephone calls, please.

 

Share

Get Engaged: PSC’s new website makes it easier than ever

 

A letter to the editor that recently appeared in the Post and Courier calls attention to the benefits of citizen engagement. Are you frustrated over what is happening in your community? Rather than venting to your neighbors and on social media, the author advises, get involved and gain an understanding of the issues, current efforts to address them, and hurdles to overcome.

With the Preservation Society’s improved website, it is now easier than ever to get engaged and to play an active role in shaping the future of the city and region.

The website is the next step in what began as our Keep Charleston REAL concept. As we believe an engaged citizenry is instrumental to Charleston’s future success, we have transformed the site from the traditional, static look at the organization’s past, to an active, one-stop source for Charleston’s growth-related, planning, preservation, and quality of life issues.

We invite you to interact with all of the positive changes. The advocacy toolkit places at your fingertips:

  • news on relevant issues, updated daily
  • a guide to participating, complete with a public meeting calendar, the latest meeting agendas, and insight into the public comment processes of various public meetings
  • a guide to supporting strong local leadership, which includes information about City Council members and their districts, as well as how to get involved with your neighborhood association.

Help ensure Charleston’s future success, and get engaged!

Share